New Jacques Ellul books - only in French!
I did my research on Jacques Ellul and although I’ve not kept up to speed with the literature on him as much as I would like since I finished I’m quite excited to discover that there is what looks like a major (392pp) new study in French which has just come out.
It’s called Jacques Ellul: Une pensée en dialogue and is written by Frédéric Rognon who is Professor in Philosophy of Religion at the Faculty of Protestant Theology in Strasbourg.
It may be that there will be a revival of interest in him in France as there was recently a single volume (of 1040 pages !!) published containing eight of his theological works.
Again I can only find all the stuff in French but there is information and an interview with a former pupil of Ellul online and the book is described. In addition to a preface by Antoine Nouis and biblical index it includes the following books - links are to online PDFs of the English translations others of which are also available online:
- Présence au monde moderne (1948) [Presence of the Kingdom]
- Le livre de Jonas (1952) [The Judgment of Jonah]
- l’Homme et l’argent (1953) [Money and Power]
- Politique de Dieu, politiques de l’homme (1966) [The Politics of God and the Politics Of Man]
- Contre les violents (1972) [Violence]
- L’impossible prière (1972) [Prayer and Modern Man]
- Un chrétien pour Israël (1986) [A Christian For Israel - untranslated]
- Si tu es le fils de Dieu (1991) [If You Are the Son of God - currently being translated]
A volume singing his praises and demonstrating his foresight about our contemporary world was published back in 2004.
I suspect I may come back and say more about him on this blog though of course what he would make of this form of communication is quite another matter....